Saturday, May 22, 2010

secret ingredient challenge: mangoes


After convincing myself it was going to be an herb, the secret ingredient turned out to be a fruit.  Sweet!  I toasted some crostini with olive oil, rubbed it with garlic, and topped it with a salsa I made out of mangoes, tomatoes, pineapples, onions, jalapenos, lemon juice and some basil.

 

The dish that sunk me.  My mango beurre blanc never came together.  I didn't score my fish skin all the way so it curled up.  The mango rice pilaf sucked, and there is way too much of it on that plate.  But worst of all, I missed my plating window and was promptly disqualified.  This just happened like an hour and a half ago, so...I don't really know what to say.  I'm pretty disappointed in myself for this dish.  I could have done better.

 

And because of that snafu, they never even looked at this.  So all I had for judging was stupid crostini and salsa.  I steeped mint into my simple syrup, and the mango sorbet was really cool and refreshing.  I knew it would be a hot day, so this was going to be my secret weapon.  Which I never got to fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment