Tuesday, May 4, 2010

day 77: flan, pot de creme and creme brulee


We made some pretty rich and custardy desserts today. For the flan, we spun caramel into cages and nests, which was a lot of fun.  But there was such a short window you had to do it in before your caramel set, it would probably have been easier to just start a new batch of sugar each time.


I did my nest after my cage, and you can see those big globs of sugar stuck in there because the sugar had gotten too cool. That caramel sauce that came out of the flan was delicious.  I ate every last drop of mine.


The chocolate pots were really delicious, especially with the earthquake cookies, which were just like little brownies.  Also, I'm glad I learned the trick to quenelles a lot sooner than I learned the trick to tournees. Whip the cream until it's really stiff, like just before the point of being overwhipped and getting grainy...that allows it to best hold its shape.  It really is just push, and pull back with one spoon.  I'm gonna have to ask Chef about the two handed technique.


The creme brulee might have been delicious.  I did eat it.  But at this point, I was about two clicks past my custard limit.  And to save the richest one for last.  What was I thinking?  One thing I do know for sure is that those sable cookies are purely decorational.  They tasted pretty bland.  Impressive technique, though, as with that caramel cage...simple, but incredibly elegant.

No comments:

Post a Comment