Friday, April 30, 2010

day 75: souffles, tuiles and nut lace cookies


Chef Pastore would say I've got a case of the 1980s, my plates are so cheesy. I aimed high, but I executed kinda meh. This "Plan B" plate looked a bit nicer than my original one below, but my ice cream totally needs a base before it starts flopping around that plate.


This is my original plate, sans the crowning acheivment. I made a wheel out of the nut lace dough, but I didn't bake it long enough so it wasn't sturdy enough to hold its shape. I just didn't have the time to redo it.  Without it, the circles on the plate don't really build to anything. I also should have started with a larger base so that the top of the chocolate base layer could be seen. It was a great idea to put that chocolate nut lace cookie in the freezer to make a nice cold base for the ice cream and slow its melt.


The frozen souffle, we made yesterday out of raspberry puree and an Italian meringue. Quenelles are the tournees of spoonery...very hard to pull off without a lot of practice. I think I should have pulled the acetate off from frozen for a cleaner edge.


The hot souffle was our first project today, which we flavored with chocolate and served with a creme anglaise. These are absolutely delicious, and that's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

  1. But what would chef true have to say about all this?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He would say, "In case of a water landing, life jackets are located under your seat. To fasten, place the vest over your head and secure both straps around your waist. To inflate, pull the red handle, or manually inflate by blowing into the red tube."

    ReplyDelete