Thursday, April 8, 2010

day 60: waffles, pancakes, crepes and french toast


Today, I made waffles, pancakes, Crepes Suzette, and cinnamon french toast with carmelized bananas and Nutella sauce. Chef Pastore said it was a plate of all his favorite things, then grabbed Chef True to show him. Has someone replaced him with Chef Brown?

My waffles and pancakes came out pretty standard fare.

The Crepes Suzette were delicious with the Grand Marnier sauce.


For all the good food that we made today, it took quite a bit of time to get all the different batters together. The french toast dish is the one one where I feel I really got remotely creative. I carmelized my bananas with some cinnamon and clarified butter in a pan, after seeing how much work the blowtorch was with such little payoff. The french toast batter also got hit with some cinnamon and brandy. I whipped up some chantilly cream and piped it out with a star tip to make it look nice...to bad it started melting when it hit the hot bananas. Then, instead of just spreading some Nutella on it, I lightly whipped it with some cream to make a sauce out of it. It paid off...no negative critique from Chef Pastore for one of my dishes the second day in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment