Friday, April 9, 2010

day 61: breakfast buffet; apple latkes


I'm not sure how today went. On the one hand, James and I got to do a creative spin on the latkes that we learned in 110, only with potatoes, apples and cinnamon. On the other hand, I specifically did the exact opposite of what Chef Pastore told me to do. Probably not the smartest move when he's in charge of my grade. I wasn't completely crazy...I did make a tester and bring it to him and Chef True first. Chef Pastore was concerned we might burn the apples because they have a higher sugar content than potatoes, so I upped the ratio to about 1.5 potatoes to 1 apple. He also recommended I add a bit more salt since there were so many sweet flavors on my plate. I made a dessert sauce by reducing cream, sugar, brown sugar and apple brandy which I think Chef Pastore really liked because he sprayed it all over everything. That's gotta be a good sign.

Chef True and Chef Pastore head our buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment