Wednesday, April 7, 2010

day 59: quiches, stratas and frittatas


Day 3 of egg cookery, we made quiches stuffed with bacon and onions, and topped with gruyere cheese; breakfast stratas with Italian sausage, mushroom, onions, and topped with fontina cheese; and frittatas with leeks, squash, zucchini, tomatoes and pesto sauce. My quiche here had good texture and flavor, but excessive browning due to the fan being on in the oven.


The strata here suffered the same fate: excessive browning. Both the quiche and the strata should be a pale yellow and uniform in color throughout. The strata also could have used a little more soak time as the bread layers should not be visible.


For the first time I can remember, Chef Pastore had absolutely no negative critique about one of my dishes! He said the frittata had nice texture, seasoning, and the plate looked great. I love tomatoes with my eggs...it's how my grandmother would always make eggs when I was a kid. Shrimp would have been nice, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment