Tuesday, March 2, 2010

day 39: lemon meringue tart


Today, we made our last tart with the pate sucre dough, and it was a good one. Unlike everything else we've made that I've tried to unload on random people, this one stays with me. The lemon custard was so delicious, I wouldn't mind eating a bowl of it, straight. I didn't realize there was a big jug of lemon juice being passed around, so I squeezed fresh lemon juice, which I think will make it all the more better. Kinda like the chocolate chip cookies we made from scratch...they probably don't actually taste much better than cookie dough you buy at the supermarket, but the knowledge that the ingredients are fresh just makes it taste better in your brain. We also got to use the blowtorch, which of course was a lot of fun. Chef A said my custard looked nice and shiny, my meringue was smooth and I colored it nicely, but I did have a few tips that burned.  I'll have to make sure to pat those down next time. I really hope I get this or the fruit tart Friday for my final. I'd just be plain embarrassed to have to give away another stinky frangipane tart. Tomorrow: eclairs and cream puffs. Side note: I totally stayed after school today and baked off my cream puffs, alone with Chef True. That's a detention fantasy waiting to happen.

2 comments:

  1. I LOLed at the detention fantasy waiting to happen bit....WAY TOO FUNNY!! All of the things you have made look FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous! I'd bang his erasers any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete