Tuesday, March 23, 2010

day 54: fabricating salmon and liver; calf's liver lyonnaise, and grilled salmon with mustard beurre blanc and roasted broccoli


Today, we fabricated whole salmon, grilled it and made a mustard beurre blanc sauce. We also got our pick of vegetables and whatever preparation we wanted to do, so I pulled a Rachael Ray and roasted some broccoli, stems and all, tossed in the garlic olive oil I made on Friday, salt and pepper. First, Chef Shalchian demos fabricating a whole salmon, which is like any round fish we've done before, just bigger. In fact, I think the bigger actually made pulling the pin bones a lot easier than on our smaller fillets.

Next, Chef Pastore demos the liver. Here, he slides his finger under the outer membrane to remove it, sort of like silver skin.


After seasoning both sides with salt and pepper...

 
and a light dredge through some flour...

 
Chef Pastore sautees them to about medium in cast iron with clarified butter.

 
A little bit more butter just because.

 
The liver is served with onions, carmelized in bacon fat, bacon lardons and a lemon beurre blanc.

It was delicious, but took a lot of clever ingredients to mask the liver-y taste of liver, and you could only eat so much of this before the liver started creeping back in. Great flavors though.


For my dish today, I pan fried and basted my salmon in some clarified butter, roasted some whole broccoli tossed in some garlic olive oil, and attempted a lemon beurre blanc although the clock got ahead of me at the end of the day and the sauce hadn't quite come together yet. Chef Shalchian said my fish was cooked a very nice medium rare, but that she wasn't a fan of the whole broccoli stem being presented like that...she would have cut the stem. I don't think she tasted the broccoli, although I wish she had...roasted broccoli is awesome! The ends get all singed like burnt hair, and they had a nice crispness with the kosher salt still on them. I think it looks nice on the plate, but I like that I always get another perspective on how to present things.

No comments:

Post a Comment