Friday, March 12, 2010

day 47: pan roasted chicken breast over mushroom risotto and duck breast with dried cherry port wine sauce


Today was test day, and I was glad to finally get a break from these marathon lectures all week. We broke down chicken today, and after a few more I should be able to do it blindfolded. We also made risotto, which I probably haven't done in about two months...and it showed. Overall, my dish tasted great, but I took my risotto too far. Chef Shalchian took a couple bites of my chicken, which can cause you major anxiety sometimes. But then she commented on how much she loved garlic. And I definitely garlicked up that chicken and sauce. All my flavors were on point...I just needed to go more al dente on the risotto.


Unfortunately, I overcooked my duck breast...again. At least I didn't decimate my dried cherries by leaving them in the stock for 17 years like last time, so I'm going to call that progress. Chef Pastore tasted my dish, and I'd forgotten how much I missed his critique. He's got an amazing palate, and knew something had scorched in my pan. I was puzzled, and kept tasting my sauce with him and had no idea what he was talking about. I did sweat some shallots, but didn't really have any opportunity to burn anything in my pan. He told me to bring him the pan, and sure enough, the nasty burnt stuff from whoever had used to pan before had fallen in my sauce. I cannot believe he picked that up. I'd give anything to work under him after school is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment