Monday, March 1, 2010

day 38: pear frangipane tart, palmiers, linzer jewels and chocolate chip cookies


1978 called and it wants its desserts back. Today, we made this frangipane pear tart, which no one in my class had ever had...nor did anyone proclaim its greatness when Chef True asked how it tasted at the end of class. When I tasted the pears today, they reminded me of a fruitcake...in the way that you may be able to stomach half a slice of that once every December. This thing definitely has that exact same flavor profile. We had Guest Chef Martinez today in place of Chef A, which a lot of the guys went apeshit over. The straight guys. Anyhow, she said I baked the tart off nicely and that I did a good job presenting the pears. She did notice a spot on my tart shell that was uneven, which she recommended that I just make sure to cut even across next time. She did not, however, notice where I majorly patched some dough that I broke, which I stupidly pointed out. I think there was also a spot where I might have spilled some of the frangipane onto the shell, which should have been wiped. I'm pretty happy with it overall, but I hope I don't have to make another one of these for my final. Boring.


Next up, we baked off three different cookies that we'd prepared last week. The linzer jewels were fun to make, but all that almond reminded me of the frangipane, which just the thought/smell of was enough for me. The chocolate chips were pretty standard fare, but the palmiers were my favorite because I have a total food memory with these cookies. When I was a kid and I'd go shopping with my parents, my mom would do the actual shopping while my dad would take me to the bakery at the front of the store and buy me one of these...I loved them so much. I used way too much sugar on these today because Chef True kept stressing how much you couldn't over-sugar and to be generous with it. Well, I sure showed him. Chef Martinez said my palmiers and linzers came out good, but that I'd creamed the butter and sugar for the chocolate chip dough too long, which produces a flat cookie. I never knew that...that's good to know. She also liked my platter presentation, which I'll agree looks great. Tomorrow: lemon meringue tartlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment