Monday, March 15, 2010

day 48: beef bourguignon over pappardelle noodles


Today, we made a classic beef bourguignon and served it over fresh pappardelle noodles that we rolled out. 1. I've never had it. 2. We got no demo. 3. It turned out great, just following Chef Pastore's directions. Chef Shalchian said I had perfectly tender and well seasoned meat, and a delicious sauce with just the right consistency. I started by rendering the bacon fat and then giving the chuck a good sear in it with a light dusting of flour. Some onions got carmelized with some garlic, and I deglazed with red wine. I added some veal stock and let the meat braise about an hour and some change. Pearl onions and mushrooms got carmelized in some butter, and were then added to the sauce, which I strained and reduced. I mounted with a little butter for some shine, tossed my pappardelle in some butter, and that was about it. I got called "Emeril" for bamming my plate up with parsley...but I should actually be called "Pastore" because it was him I saw doing it the other day with our linguine and clams, and I couldn't wait to try it on my own plate. Both chefs were glad I at least powdered my parsley (which I made sure to do first thing at the start of class so I wouldn't have wet clumpy parsley), and Chef Shalchian said I would have gotten 100 if only I cooked my pasta through a bit more. Unfortunately, I only had 4 egg noodles and was afraid if I sacrificed one to taste, I wouldn't have had enough to plate. Bad call - that sure won't happen again. Tomorrow: second chance on filet mignon for my portfolio!

No comments:

Post a Comment