Friday, March 19, 2010

day 52: filet mignon with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables


Steak was on the menu again today, and I didn't mind at all. I also roasted off some garlic for my red bliss mashed potatoes, and grilled some eggplant and peppers for my dish. A little bone marrow and bordelaise sauce for garnish, and I think I put together a pretty good plate of food. Chef Shalchian said my potatoes were really good and that she could eat a whole plate of it, but that I should probably have squeezed my garlic out and mashed them before adding the potatoes so that they wouldn't have browned so much. Also, my peppers could have used more time on the grill, but the eggplant was pretty good. My steak was cooked perfectly medium rare.  Forget thermometers...squeezing the meat is a much better and intuitive way to tell when your meat is done.  Best of all though, she commended my bordelaise sauce, which was a tough feat since she said our veal stock was pretty bad. She said it was one of the only bordelaise sauces that tasted like bordelaise sauce...I'll take that! Next week: pork, game and offal.

No comments:

Post a Comment